Monday, June 1, 2009

Tenda Berries Make Fine Wine: Kim Gordon



You've got to be a total idiot if you listen to rock music and are not at least acquainted with Sonic Youth's bassist and most photogenic vocalist.

I was shocked, SHOCKED I say, to realize that SY is releasing their 16th full studio album and that the band's ages are approaching the time where they could collect social security. Personally I have about half of their studio albums and each one is different and awesome.

When I first got into alternative music most of my new grungy looking friends were heavily into the indie scene, having already pledged their undying love to Nirvana and constant devotion to modest Mouse and Quasi, I went around the lot and started listening to Sonic Youth. The Choice was an easy one for me... SY's most notable single featured Chuck D, a welcome bridge from two seemingly unbridgeable musical landscapes at the time.

I am especially excited for this new Sonic Youth record because it sounds more like the Sonic Youth I first got into. And this is one of those bands who never disappoint live, the below clip is merely a smattering of what really goes on. And yes I enjoy seeing Kim Gordon bop around while doing vocalist duties and letting someone else handle the bass for awhile; although I gotta say she is a primary reason why women who can play the bass guitar is so damn hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment